Are you eligible to participate?
All teachers will enter the U.S. with a J-1 Cultural Exchange Visa. To be eligible for the visa, you must meet the following requirements.
- Meet the qualifications for teaching in primary (including pre-kindergarten) or secondary schools in their country of nationality or last legal residence (you must be licensed to teach in your country);
- Be working as a PreK – Grade 12 teacher in your home country or country of legal residence at the time of application, OR
- Meet all other the eligibility qualifications,
- Have recently (within 12 months of application) completed an advanced degree, and
- Have two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years;
- Have a degree-equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher in either education or the academic subject field in which you intend to teach;
- Have a minimum of two years (24 months) of teaching or related professional experience;
- Satisfy the standards of the U.S. state in which you will teach (have a teaching license for the state);
- Be of good reputation and character;
- Be seeking to enter the United States for the purpose of full-time teaching as a teacher of record at an accredited primary (including pre-kindergarten) or secondary school.
(Pre-kindergarten teachers must teach full-time at the pre-kindergarten level, and may teach only language immersion at an accredited host school);
- Possess sufficient proficiency in the English language.
(adapted from https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/teacher)